Saturday, March 7, 2015

Feminism Is The New Black




Everyone stared at her as she wore the highest heels embodied with the reddest lips accentuating her beauty effortlessly. Her style was impeccable as she wore clothes that molded the silhouette of her curves. When she entered the room all eyes were on her. The attention she commanded came naturally. This woman was not your ideal poster child for what a feminist looked like but she didn't care because feminism was not a look but a movement for equality.

In the past couple of decades society has created the wrong stigma on what feminism is, what a feminist should look like and how feminist are portrayed. Somehow the word "feminist" has become a dirty word misinterpreted by societal ignorance. Feminism has evolved over the years but yet the stigmata of the movement has caused many women to denounce that they are feminist instead of embrace it like a new pair of Louboutins.

Feminism in the 20th century has become more prevalent due to women deserving equal pay, the right to education in different countries, the right to say they do not want to get married or have kids for that matter. I believe a feminist is a woman who cares about empowering other women, who desires equality for women and men. These particular women are not scared to embrace their authenticity. A woman who proclaims she is a feminist is brave enough to let her voice be heard in spite of the negativity she encounters with society. Women celebrities such as BeyoncĂ©, Patricia Arquette, Emma Watson and even First Lady Michelle Obama has helped us redefine what the word feminist really means to millennial women.

Over the years, I never really understood feminism, embrace feminism or thought I was a feminist. However, after I reviewed my life and thought all the barriers I have broken as a woman I began to realize I am true feminist naturally. I remember when I was in high school I did a paper on African women getting their vaginas circumcised and how cruel that was in certain African countries. I did not know it but even then I was making my voice heard on women issues. Feminism to me is about women empowerment, having the right to create your life on your own terms without societal validation and ultimately embracing the woman you are without feeling the need for an explanation.

I can proudly say I am a feminist, I love empowering women to know that being who you are is a gift and knowing who you are is important. A feminist is not a woman who hate men, who hate makeup or stilettos but a feminist is a woman who is liberal enough to break free from enslavement of inequality in all forms.

Here is another article related to this subject:
Am I A Feminist? http://www.theinspirationalcorner.net/2014/08/am-i-feminist.html






References:
Picture Reference: http://michaelurbina.com/