Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Charms of Charleston

Photo Credit: Me
 
Charleston, SC is known to be one of top tourist city's according to the Conde Nast Traveler's magazine. It has remained as the number one place to travel for tourists who are looking for historic sites, immaculate shopping, excellent restaurants and beautiful weather. I never understood why Charleston was rated among places like New York, Paris and other major tourist areas. I have lived in Charleston, SC for six years after exiting the military which forced me to understand  the dynamics of the Lowcountry. I began to find things to do in Charleston every weekend for me and my daughter. I soon fell in love with the charms of  Charleston, SC especially the downtown area. Downtown Charleston is filled with culture from an array of people coming from all around the world to various food choices ranging from Mediterranean food, Italian, Lebanese and much more. Today I fell in love with the beautiful charms that downtown Charleston offers such as my favorite gelato place on King Street (shopping district). I was able to experience a quaint Mediterranean Café called Taziki's that has great customer service and food. After I ate my lunch I ventured to Belgian Gelato where the ice cream is pure Italian heaven. The shops on King St. are divine locally owned with eccentric things to buy. Another great charm about downtown Charleston is Market St. which is compounded of several vendors that range from art to jewelry and so much more.
 
Every Friday the market showcase artists so they can sell their artwork to tourist or locals. The most charming thing about Charleston I have found is their jazz bar, "The Mezz" that is located upstairs in Sermet's Restaurant where the local band "The Quentin Baxter Quintet" play live jazz on Thursday, Friday and Saturday prospectively. The atmosphere is like a scene out of the movie "Love Jones" where Larenz Tate was doing poetry at the restaurant. The jazz bar setting is classy, elegant and decorated with white linen chairs. This jazz bar is one of my top gems that I treasure in downtown Charleston. I am a big city girl who crave the city lights, multiple things to do and also enjoy the times where I can hear complete silence. Charleston, SC gives me the freedom to cherish the complete serenity that the country life gives me. I never understood the charms of Charleston but now I understand that this city preserves their culture, embraces the history and draw people to the beauty of the hidden gems around the area.
 
For more amazing things to do in Charleston look at these sites: